William HendersonPrincipal Consultant
In June 2007 following a 35-year career in security and counterintelligence, William Henderson authored the book, Security Clearance Manual, to help people understand the federal security clearance process and reduce delays in obtaining a clearance. In April 2011 he authored Issue Mitigation Handbook, which explains how security and suitability clearance issues can be mitigated enabling applicants to get the best possible results in the shortest possible time. Both books have been used as text books at universities. He has been helping people with clearance eligibility problems since 2007.
In 2012 he cofounded Federal Clearance Assistance Service, LLC (FEDCAS), the first national service of its kind available to individual clients and organizations needing ethical, qualified, and cost-effective personnel security clearance assistance. Consulting services are provided by former DOD personnel security clearance specialists.
Before retiring from federal service, Bill held positions of Special Agent, Senior Resident Agent, and Assistant Special Agent-In-Charge with the Defense Investigative Service and its successor organizations—the Defense Security Service and the Federal Investigative Services Division of the Office of Personnel Management for over 20 years. Prior to that he worked as Counterintelligence Agent for the US Army and a Security Manager for a division of Ford Aerospace & Communications Corporation. He graduated from Golden Gate University with a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice.
He has written numerous articles on federal security clearance, employment suitability/fitness, and Homeland Security Presidential Directive-12 Credentialing standards, processes, and determinations. His books have been used as textbooks at the University of New Haven, New Haven, CT; Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, AZ; Wake Technical Community College, Raleigh, NC; Garrett College, McHenry, MD; and Prince George’s Community College, Largo, MD.
He has been interviewed on Federal News Radio (WFED, Washington, DC) and National Public Radio (WAMU 88.5 FM, Washington, DC) and quoted in the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Bloomberg Business Week, and Virginian-Pilot on federal security clearance issues. He has also been retained as an expert witness on cases involving security clearances.
areas of practice
- National Security Clearance
- Federal Employment Suitability & Fitness
- HSPD-12 and CAC Credentialing
- BA Criminal Justice, Golden Gate University
- Counterintelligence Agent Course, US Army Intelligence School
- Military Intelligence Coordinator Course, US Army Intelligence School
- Personnel Security Investigations Course, Defense Security Institute
- Industrial Security Specialist Course, Defense Industrial Security Institute
- Information Security Management Course, Defense Security Institute
- Computer Security Course, DOD Computer Institute
- Counter-Terrorism Course, California Specialized Training Institute